Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Zoo

Today was our first visit to the "Michigan Zoo", as my kids call it. My cousin, Erin, lives about 30 minutes away and we have been able to see each other a handful of times over the summer. This week we decided to take the kids to the zoo. My kids were very excited to be going and were quite curious as to all this zoo had to offer. John Ball Park Zoo is about 15 minutes away from our house. It is much smaller than the Cleveland Zoo, but seemed to have exhibits that the Cleveland Zoo didn't (or at least ones that I may have missed since I'm sure there is a large part of the C Zoo that I've missed). We got there around 11 and stayed until lunch/nap time at 1:00. The kids had fun, as this zoo offered a lot of hands-on exhibits. My favorite, by far, was their kangaroo and wallaby exhibit. In fact, I was so impressed that I'm sure people were looking at me like I had a minor obsession. The kangaroos and wallabys were out wandering around the walking trail and everyone was able to pet them when they passed by. A couple of the wallabys took an interest in the kids which was kind of fun, but the part that got me quite excited was that we were able to see a little joey in its mommy's pouch. Whenever it jumped out the pouch kind of sealed up, which was awesome to watch. Then we'd watch the little guy hop back in and go for a ride with Mom.

Caleb also was able to pet the stingrays and sharks, just like at the C zoo, but here he could also feed them which was kind of fun. I think that the kids were most excited because the lions here were actually awake! Here are some pictures: